Il-Ħamis, Ottubru 13, 2005

Ok, so the question is whether this blog will be just about football. In actual fact, my very first thought was that this should be a place for lovers of the game. But coming to think of it the name should not act as a constraint. Instead, I'll try to express myself on other things, but I am sure I can still do it as a futbolite. Mixed up? We'll see.

In the meantime, my internet wanderings this week have thrown at me some interesting stories. For example the drama of poor Cameroon full-back Pierre Wome who missed a decisive penalty in the 93rd minute which meant that his team would miss the world cup. It can barely get any worse (Milan fans do know something about suffering lately...but more of that later). But there are several experiences of bitter disappointment and mishaps which at times carry the mood of whole city or nation. The rummaging through Wome's house and the danger for his relatives is stuff for non-fans. The same can be said for the rather unfortunate (to say the least) guy who shot himself by mistake while celebrating the Croatian qualification. A revolver isn't exactly a scarf, a banner or a flag....

But back to extraordinary stories of extraordinary fans. This swedish guy won a great lottery and the first thing he could think about was buying his idol Ibrahimovic to play in his hometown club in the Swedish second Division. I will add the sad part to the story myself: I guess Zlatan's opinion would not be so romantic. And only becauseVisby (yes, that's the name of the club) do not play Champions League football (!)

And finally....what about the results of the Maltese national team lately? Croatia and Bulgaria aren't exactly Tagikistan and Lesotho! Was it a fluke again? I'm glad I might have to swallow some of words of mine these last days. Results like these mean to us as much as a World Cup qualification (or let's say almost). Time for the hopefuls!!

No comments:

Post a Comment