Il-Ġimgħa, Novembru 25, 2005

Tribute to the Best

It cannot really be hailed as a literary masterpiece. But one of the autobiographies I enjoyed most was certainly George Best's. His life had enough to fill way more volumes than his own 'Blessed'. These days a lot will be written on one of the most talented and contrasting figures of the game. I will not even attempt to go through the cliche' of his ups and downs and his career highlights and misfortunes.

Yet, after reading his book - after all had felt that due to my young age I did not know much about this much loved character - I kept following Best's random appearances in the media, which unfortunately were almost always related to his eternal enemy, his alcoholic self.

This is why I'd like to remember him like this, the 1968 European champion and Golden Ball winner: the fifth beatle, the first football icon, the flair player who took the mickey out of the opposing defenders, the kid from Northern Ireland who would never have the chance to play in a world cup, who could confuse even Matt Busby, the lover of women....and uncluckily his own destruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment